Monday 28 June 2010

Hubert the Gull



Derek Tangye wrote about a gull that lived on his roof for a few years on his flower farm near Lamorna. Apparently injured or elderly gulls find solace in human company having been abandoned by their cruel brethren. Darwin felt that Seagulls were the perfect design, particularly their wings and I have seen enough to say they can hold their own in any food chain. I now have my own Hubert who looks at me in the evening as the sun goes down beyond the cottage in front of Cliffside. I know I shouldn't feed the seagulls, anyone who has been to St Ives and dared to eat a pasty or feed their kids sandwiches on the beach will attest to this, but Hubert is special and we have a bond. He only has one leg and knows he can wangle a crust if he stares at me long enough. He also likes old disposable barbecue coals which I tend to leave out to find ravaged in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment