Tuesday 30 November 2010

Billy Bass




There is an art to fishing for bass which is beyond me so will not even contemplate the vagaries of tempting these silver wolves of the sea on to my hook. They love the surf and can be caught from the beach. The solo lights on the beach at night identify the patient anglers waiting for these plucky fish and line caught bass fetch a fair price. Another idyllic pursuit that satisfies the soul and provides a small income or a fresh treat at least. Unlike the lazy cod bass love strong tides and fighting the elements so have a fit rather than flaccid or flaky flesh. The French aptly name them 'loup de mer' wolf of the sea and they are a fixture on any good Cornish menu. The portions are not very large though and they are expensive in Newlyn fishmongers so catching your own is a boon. I haven't seen any to shoot yet but then my only shot on target bounced off and the poor fish may still be swimming around with his scar from his battle with Herve Cousteau. The bass fishermen aren't great conversationalists but this is par for the course for most of the fishermen in this secluded cove. After a year I now get a curt nod of recognition. I will raid their lobster pots before I go though. The Beach restaurant took 600 off the Sennen fisherfolk over the summer so they won't miss a few..

No comments:

Post a Comment