Monday 24 May 2010

Megrim




I am trying to get to grips with these bad boys of the sea which are cheaper than sole and supposedly just as good. These are sustainable as they look nasty with their goggle eyes and translucent appearance. Along with the witch, which look similar, they are apparently caught mostly by beamers trawling for monsters of the deep. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall wants them rebranded 'Cornish Sole' or the more popular 'Rockall Sole'. I cook them by slashing the topside three times and covering in lemon, butter and olive oil, frying the underside then finishing them under the grill. I had more success with the bigger ones as they can be so fiddly to eat that the smaller ones are not worth the bother, but I couldn't tell the difference from sole although they cannot compare to the hearty brill which are not as easy to find and expensive in comparison. I got a box of flat fish a while ago and these poor fellas are the last to go as I discovered the box was full of them ! I will try Newlyn next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment